How to get state money for homeschool materials (Utah)

(updated 8/26/20)

There are a number of programs in the state of Utah that partner homeschool families with public schools in order to get public education dollars into the hands of homeschool families. I only have personal experience with My Tech High. We submit a weekly report. Standardized testing is optional. They are currently accepting applications for a state date in January 2021.

Brief overview of how My Tech High works 

(for elementary aged students)

When you sign up to participate in My Tech High (MTH), you commit to provide/coordinate 38 weeks of instruction for your child in each of his/her courses. You also commit to have them take standardized tests, unless you opt out, which is easy to do.

My Tech High requires the following courses:

  • Language Arts
  • Math
  • Science OR Social Studies
  • Technology OR Entrepreneurship
  • Elective (art, music, PE, or foreign language)

There is also a homeroom course, but it doesn’t really count because you don’t get money for it and you don’t have to report on it. 

There are three options for your courses:

Option 1: You can choose to take one of MTH’s online classes. There are a lot of options and I have never had a child take one, but some people like them. If you choose this option, you don’t get any additional $$$ from MTH.

Option 2: If you want to create your own curriculum, MTH will reimburse you up to $225 per class. So you can buy $225 of language art materials, $225 of math supplies, etc. New for 2020-2021, you can combine all of the funds from your language arts course, math course, science/social studies course, and your elective. That means you can have up to $900 dollars ($225×4 courses) that you can spend on anything related to any of those courses. So you could spend $600 on one math program if you wanted to. (Note: MTH will note reimburse anything with religious content–so The Good and the Beautiful, for example.)

Option 3: If your child participates in a group class (2 or more children) that is publicly advertised and is approved by MTH, then you can be reimbursed up to $300 per class. For example, if your child is in a group music class, you could select music as your elective and then get reimbursed for up to $300 in tuition for that class for the year.

On top of all the money for each class, each MTH student will get $500 of additional money reimbursed. It’s called a “technology allowance,” but it can be used for anything school-related and approved by MTH.

If you have more questions, see the My Tech High website or email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.